Summer climbing!

The majestic view from Stanage Edgee

With overseas travel likely to be challenging and domestic holidays booked up or over-priced, this might be the year to join one of our outdoor climbing trips.

This summer, weather and Coronavirus permitting, we hope to run a number of trips to different climbing locations in England. Cost is in the region of £99 per head, inclusive of all necessary equipment.


Full details of dates and locations will be posted on our website, but are likely to include:

The Southern Sandstone in Kent
All climbing is top-roped, so suitable for beginners and upwards. Less than 90 minutes from central London, the crags of Harrison’s Rocks and Bowls are ideal for day trips.

Climbing on Harrison's Rocks, near Tunbridge Wells
Harrison’s Rocks

The Peak District in Derbyshire
Mainly top-roped climbing, though we can offer traditional lead-climbing trips for older kids and advanced climbers. Over the years we have climbed at a number of crags in the Peak, including Stanage Edge, Burbage, Froggatt, Bamford, Yarncliffe Quarry and Birchen Edge. Normally our trips run for two days during the week to avoid the crowds. Accommodation is either the North Lees campsite, or a local B&B.

A Geckos group at the popular end of  Stanage Edge in the Peak District
Stanage Edge

Portland and Swanage in Dorset
We hope to run both top-roping and sports-climbing trips to these popular seaside climbing areas. Accommodation is either in campsites such as Tom’s Field, or in local B&Bs.

Sport-climbing on Dancing Ledge, near Langton Maltravers in Dorset
Dancing Ledge, Swanage
Please email us for more details.

AALS licensing application

Stanage Edge

Geckos is in the process of putting together an application for a license from the Adventure Activities Licensing Service to teach unsupervised groups outdoors (rather then requiring parents/guardians to attend). All being well, we hope to take our first unsupervised group to the Peak in the summer of 2020.

Coronavirus update

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the process of obtaining a license has had to be put on hold. Once the situation begins to return to (some sort of) normal, we will re-activate the application. Realistically, we’re unlikely to be able to take out unsupervised groups until the spring or summer of 2021, at the earliest.

Hang in there!